Money raised to assist councilman after duplex fire

Town residents rallied to assist Third District Councilman Wali Kadeem after his home was damaged in a fire on Thursday afternoon.

Wali Kadeem

Wali Kadeem

A GoFundMe page to assist Kadeem, set up by Tenth District Councilman Tina Manus, raised more than $1,300 for Kadeem and his family. The goal for the family had been $1,000.

Kadeem’s home was damaged last Thursday in a fire at a duplex on Larkin Court. Stratford firefighters responded at about 3:30 p.m. to a fire that was in the second floor attic at 198 Larkin Court. Fire Marshal Brian Lampart said the fire was caused by an electrical outlet near the foot of the bed spreading to the mattress and other contents of the room. No one was injured, Lampart said, though the two families occupying the duplex had been displaced.

Manus said on Sunday via social media that she delivered the donations to Kadeem’s family and reported that “they are in good spirits and thankful for everything given to them and everyone who is thinking of them.”

Manus said the family has a long road ahead and the Kadeem family won’t return home anytime soon. She asks the community to keep the Kadeems in their prayers.

About author
Editor for the Stratford Star. Former reporter for the Darien Times.

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

  • Joe Pedoto

    I hope that the Kadeem family is able to weather this storm and return home in the near future. You are in my thoughts. It’s a object lesson for us all that disaster can strike at any time – we are all vulnerable. I’m impressed by the speed with which Tina Manus responded with aid. My one prayer is that the Town Council could take some lessons from this. Both about helping those in need and working together cooperatively. No one can make it through this life without the support of our communities…

  • G. Cann-iver

    Does he not have insurance? Are we supposed to donate to someone who gambled with not purchasing insurance and lost? People use these go-fund- me accounts to pay for stupid things, this is one of them. Be thankful nobody was hurt and collect from the insurance company, that’s why you buy insurance.

    • Tina Marie

      Shame on you for attempting to disparage Greg Cann! He has insurance. He also has friends!

    • Greg Cann

      What a BS cowardly anonymous post – so we know it is the usual disingenuous comment from from the disingenuous deceitful I(foul! yes smell the stench?) and dissenteterty ridden bottom feeders – Lu Deceitful!

  • Roger Simms

    Thank you Ms. Manus for leading the efforts to help a fellow Stratford family in need. Sounds like the Stratford Fire Department did a great job responding quickly and effectively.

    • Tina Marie

      You are very welcome! Our fire personnel did a WONDERFUL job and have continued helping Mr. Kadeem navigate the necessary steps to rebuilding his home. Their help didn’t end with putting out the fire—-that is what makes Stratford a very special place to live.

  • Beth

    What about the other family? It sounds like the fire was on the opposite side of the house, not in the councilmans house?

    • Tina Marie

      Yes it was and Beth wouldn’t post this here either. Another attempt to disparage. NEWSFLASH—This isn’t about Ds and Rs–it’s about a person in need. Obviously you are in need of many things as well. I’m praying for you. Every family deals with tragedy in their own way. I do not know the other folks. As I told Channel 12, I’m happy to help anyone in any way.

  • xxx

    No insurance? How do you have a mortgage and no insurance? Are they renters?
    Very sorry but, you have a family, insurance is very important, from car, home, life…
    let this be huge lesson learned…looks like you guys reached your goal. Best of luck.

    • Tina Marie

      They have insurance. They own their home. Thanks for your continued support & prayers 🙂

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. Stratford Star, 1000 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton, CT 06484

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress