Town residents rallied to assist Third District Councilman Wali Kadeem after his home was damaged in a fire on Thursday afternoon.
A GoFundMe page to assist Kadeem, set up by Tenth District Councilman Tina Manus, raised more than $1,300 for Kadeem and his family. The goal for the family had been $1,000.
Kadeem’s home was damaged last Thursday in a fire at a duplex on Larkin Court. Stratford firefighters responded at about 3:30 p.m. to a fire that was in the second floor attic at 198 Larkin Court. Fire Marshal Brian Lampart said the fire was caused by an electrical outlet near the foot of the bed spreading to the mattress and other contents of the room. No one was injured, Lampart said, though the two families occupying the duplex had been displaced.
Manus said on Sunday via social media that she delivered the donations to Kadeem’s family and reported that “they are in good spirits and thankful for everything given to them and everyone who is thinking of them.”
Manus said the family has a long road ahead and the Kadeem family won’t return home anytime soon. She asks the community to keep the Kadeems in their prayers.