Beware fire hazards this holiday

With the holiday season upon us, be sure to safeguard your house from the potential hazards associated with live Christmas trees and lit menorahs.

The National Fire Protection Agency says to keep the following in mind regarding Christmas tree safety.

Always choose a fresh tree with green needles that do not fall off when touched. Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, or lights.

Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit and be sure to add water to the tree stand daily.

Use lights that have the label of an independent testing laboratory, as some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use. Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.

Never use lit candles to decorate a tree and always turn off the tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.

The National Candle Association says to keep candles in sight. Never burn a candle near anything that can catch fire like drapes, bedding, books, etc.

Keep candles out of reach of children and pets. Always use a candleholder specifically designed for candle use, and be sure the candleholder is placed on a stable, heat-resistant surface.

Happy holidays.

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© Hersam Acorn. All rights reserved. Stratford Star, 1000 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton, CT 06484

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress